Receiving Baptism at Saint Mary of the Angels
Baptism of Adults
Adults should enter the RCIA Program for baptismal preparation. See RCIA program for further information.
Baptism of Children
1) Baptism for children over age 6 is conducted through our CCD Program. See CCD Program for more information.
2) For Baptism of infants, see information below.
Importance of Baptism
Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life… Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we became members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission… Born with a fallen human nature and tainted by original sin, children also have the need of the new birth in Baptism to be freed from the power of darkness and brought into the realm of the freedom of the children of God...
- (Catechism of the Catholic Church, nos. 1213 & 1250.)
The Church and the parents would deny a child the priceless grace of becoming a child of God were they not to confer Baptism shortly after birth (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1250).
To have your infant baptized at Saint Mary of the Angels, please follow this procedure:
1) Choose Godparents who are practicing Catholics
You may choose one godparent (male or female) or two (in this case one of each sex).
A godparent must have completed the sixteenth year, be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the sacrament of the Most Holy Eucharist and leads a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken (Code of Canon Law, 874).
2) Receive Baptismal Instruction
Parents and godparents are required to attend one baptismal class before the Baptism ceremony can take place. (If you already attended the class with a previous Baptism less than three years ago, you do not need to take the class again. Just call the Parish Office for a Registration Form and return it as soon as possible.) You can come to the class without signing up beforehand. Baptismal classes are given according to the following schedule:
- In English – 1st Tuesday & 3rd Wednesday at 7:30 pm.
- In Spanish – 2nd Tuesday at 7:30 pm.
- In Polish – Please call the Parish Office.
3) Reserve a Date for Baptism
You will receive the Registration Form at the class and can fill out the date and time of the Baptism. If you took the class at another church, send us a certificate of attendance. After filling out the Baptismal Form, parents should mail it or bring it to the Parish Office at least four days before the Baptism. Please bring a photocopy of your child’s birth certificate to the class.
The schedule of the Baptismal Ceremony is as follows:
- Baptisms in English – 1st and 3rd Sundays at 2:00 pm.
- Baptisms in Spanish – 2nd Sunday during the 12:30 pm Mass, 3rd Saturday at 10:00 am.
- Baptisms in Polish – Sundays at the 9:30 am Mass